Sunday, February 6, 2011

What’s wrong with being different?

I just had an interesting short conversation with my mom. It started with a discussion about my younger sister, who seemed to spend a lot of her time out with her boyfriend. I said it’s okay, since she’s planning to marry him, so she needs to socialize with his world a little more. Then it came the magic question from her : “When will you?”.  She even offered to find a guy for me..*crap!*

I hate to repeat myself, I’ve said the same thing to her before and I kinda hate to repeat it. I said, I don’t want to get marry for now. I don’t even have the guy to marry to and I’m not planning to find one any time soon.  I still need cash more than I need a guy.

She later told me that we should give our pride up. She was stiff, and so was my dad. But then she gave up and followed my dad’s rhythm in life. Well, then stop right there. I’m not married yet, I’ll change when the time comes (God knows when..). But for now, I’ll stick to the usual me. I am what they were. So what’s in me now is what they used to be in the past. If she said that she and my dad were stiff, then newsflash! I’m their daughter, I’m a combination of them both. That makes me stiffer than them.

When I talked to her about this is not my time, she later reminded me about my age. It’s okay to work my ass off, but I still have to remember that time is ticking. She also said that she used to think about postponing marriage, and that she wanted to be financially independent. But she regrets her decision, because now at her age, she’s supposed to be a grandmother.

And I disagree with her opinion. I thought that was the consequence of her decision to postpone marriage. Me for example, when I decided to not get married at my mid 20s, I have to realize that I won’t be conceiving at that period of age. And if I ever get married, I will also have to be prepared with the fact that I going to conceive at my 30s or 40s, therefore I won’t have enough time to raise my child, yes, you read it right, child, not children! Or the worst thing that could happen is I might not get married and won’t conceive at all.. 

That’s the logic consequence of my decision. I have think about it, therefore I must be ready to face the worst. I can’t regret this decision later in the future because such thing is foolish and useless. I really enjoy myself at the moment, what’s wrong with being single at my age? Just because our society set the unwritten marriage age range, that doesn’t mean that I have to follow the setting. Why is it wrong to be different from anybody else? Why are they getting on my nerve when I don’t even try to touch theirs? It’s really frustrating! Why can’t they just stop it and leave me alone! Their attention is killing me..

No comments: